Your favourite iPad apps for lettering?

I do most of my lettering in Procreate or directly in Illustrator using the Astropad app - which is soon to be also released on Windows :star_struck:

Are there any other apps you recommend for digital lettering?

3 Likes

Not an app but I’ve recently been using some free brushes from DesignBundles https://designbundles.net/free-design-resources/tools-and-elements/procreate-lettering-brush-bundle
Really makes my lettering appear different when using a new type of brush. I’d love to try some new brushes if you have any recommendations.

4 Likes

I’ve tried a heap of brushes but there’s only really a few I use regularly, and I almost always create a copy and tweak the settings to my liking.
I use a couple of the brushes in Missy’s set: https://designbundles.net/geekmissy/86428-nine-procreate-brushes-for-lettering

I also really love the Bounce Lettering brush from The Ampersand Shop and the Modern Calligraphy brush from iPad Lettering:

5 Likes

I love ProCreate however I barely get time to sit and doodle or letter lately. Another one I downloaded was Affinity Designer but have barely used it either.

2 Likes

I do have Affinity, haven’t yet had the time to learn how to use it either unfortunately

2 Likes

Love that bouncy brush :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I like Procreate also for lettering, but I’ve started playing around with designing fonts lately. They’re not very good yet, but I’m hoping to find a better font creator that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

3 Likes

I did not know we could use apps of an Ipad for fonts! Thank you.

1 Like

Affinity Design you must try it! Very powerfull for vector lettering

3 Likes

I love Affinity and Procreate. :grinning:

2 Likes

I just want to be able to create my own handwritten font. Nothing special, outside of my actual handwriting. Maybe a script version and print. Is Procreate the best one for that, or is there something easier to create the font?

3 Likes

Hi Emily, Font Creator and Glyphs Mini are relatively cheap alternatives to some of the more expensive programs :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks @Risman_G and @SugarBearStudio - sounds like I’m going to have to bite the bullet and learn how to use Affinity :grinning:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Procreate is great for lettering, though it won’t convert your handwriting into a font - it’s quite a process turning it into a usable font and is done in a font creation program on a computer :grinning:

2 Likes

What is your definition of costing an arm and a leg :rofl:? I use Procreate + Font Creator and while, the price tag was a bit hard to swallow at first, I am really glad that I did it!

iFontCreator is an app that claims you can create your font and such quickly and just on the iPad. I haven’t downloaded yet, but they seem to make it a little more streamlined, if I am reading correct.

Hundreds of dollars would be an arm and a leg :grin:
I completely forgot about Font Creator. I bought Main-Types Font Manager a couple years ago and love it. I believe they’re made by the same company.

Font Creator is roughly $149-$200, I believe. They just released FontCreator 13

iFontMaker is veryyyy basic. I started making fonts there - did my first handful, but I have switched out. It doesn’t provide a lot of brushes.

Affinity I believe has a sale right now and a 90 free trial.

2 Likes