What vectoring software besides Adobe Illustrator do you use?

My title says it all. I don’t want to feed the Greed Monster that is Adobe by using Illustrator to creator vector work for Cricut. What other software do you recommend? I have Inkscape. What else is there?

1 Like

I was going to do research into this same thing today. I am computer savvy, but Inkscape seems really intimidating to me. I can only do a couple of basic things with it. Is there one that is easier to use that is free or reasonably priced?

2 Likes

Imaengine

Silhouette Studio is actually pretty good and with Business Edition you can save as SVG. Also Gravit Designer and Affinity Designer are two more :blush:

2 Likes

Affinity Designer is pretty nice (and also very inexpensive, especially right now). I have some problems to stick to it, since I’m so used to Illustrator, but good friends already made it and I guess, I will, too, if Adobe becomes even more expensive in the future.

1 Like

The best method to create vector graphics is by directly writing .SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) files without any software. SVG was created to be the standard vector format. Although it’s not the de facto standard…
I created all my designs this way.

4 Likes

Affinity Designer is really good. They are offering a free trial for I believe 60 days but it might be 90 due to the outbreak. On top of that, it’s 50% off. It’s a 1 time purchase. I have it on my iPad but they also have a desktop version.

1 Like

Affinity Designer

I’ve used Inkscape for years and I agree there is a learning curve. There are many tutorials on YouTube that have helped me very much along the way. Mostly, dogged determination helped me to learn enough of the basics to feel more comfortable with it now.

2 Likes

David, that is fascinating and intriguing! I Like the Mandala’s you’ve created - are these formulaic?

I’d be really interested to know how you got into creating SVGs this way.

I currently use Inkscape.

I have always used CorelDraw. it works great for our business.

4 Likes

Currently I’m mostly using Silhouette Studio Business Edition… Because I can’t afford the BIG BOYS yet. I do have an edition of Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 that I’ll occasionally utilize. I’ll have to check out InkScape.

Colud you share some pros and cons regarding CorelDraw?

1 Like

Inkscape is powerful! It does have a learning curve but once you get used to it, it is really good. Its worth the effort if you didn’t want to use any adobe products.

2 Likes

I think Canva can do this also. But Ai is my go to.

I use a mix depending on what I am working on… silhouette studio is a really handy one I work lots in, I love Corel draw for vectors and rhinestone work and illustrator for more in depth layers and sublimation works

1 Like

Great suggestions, folks! Keep ‘em coming! Thank you! :purple_heart:

I am just a novice and this program is fairly easy to use. There’s lots of tutorials on YouTube to help with just about anything you want to do as far as a design. There are many add-on products to help with designs also.

My biggest problem, is when I upgrade, the previous version will not open a newer version of the file. I have a laptop for remote work, so if I need a file, I will have to save it in a lower version, or the new one won’t open it.

Otherwise, I’m happy with the software.

1 Like

I use affinity also and find it quite user friendly once you give yourself a little time to work it :blush: