What are your favorite crafts to do with kids?

With more time with the kids at home do you have any favorite crafts you like to do together? We are big fans of rock painting here! I would love to hear more ideas!

5 Likes

My son is currently having great fun drawing lots of different sea creatures and cutting them all out :tropical_fish:

If they like cutting and sticking and you have any old magaizines lying around, we like to make collages. You could also cut out part of a picture and then draw the rest in adding lots of imagination! :smile:

4 Likes

I remember cutting from magazines and creating collages as a kid! I loved to use old boxes!

5 Likes

My kids really do love rock painting, but we’ve been doing a lot of drawing/coloring and sun catchers! Thankfully, I have been stocked up on craft supplies for some time now :wink:

4 Likes

Ohhhh sun catchers! :heart: Do you make them on your own or are they the ones that you purchase to paint?

1 Like

100000% purchase! haha. They’re acrylic so maybe someone with a glowforge can make them? I’m not sure!

3 Likes

Yeah I purchase those too, I was wondering if you could make them :grinning: Yes, a Glowforge!!! Every-time I hear that word I think about how much I need one in my life :rofl:

1 Like

Same! I want one so bad!

2 Likes

I’ve seen a brilliant idea, although I don’t think I can share the photo as it isn’t mine.

Put some white paper in the sun, or inside by a sunny window. Line some objects in front of the paper to create a shadow on the paper. Animal figures look great. Then draw around the shadow.

My daughter loved it. We left them out too, so when we visited a few hours later the shadows had moved.

8 Likes

I love that idea @SarahEvans!

1 Like

I miss crafting with my kids, they are all grown up now. We use to do all sorts of crafting. Christmas we always made relatives gifts to teach the season of giving. I do craft afar with my sisters kids. I send them craft supplies all the time. I just sent them a box because of the isolation we are all in, of magic model, craft sand, paper mache mix and a bunch of sticker sheets. I’m going to tell my sister about the magazine idea. I think my older nephew would enjoy doing the drawing part where he could finish the other part of a picture, maybe the younger 2 might enjoy it too. i know they are bored right now and going stir crazy

7 Likes

The most beautiful gifts are handmade especially from children! Clay is a favorite around here too! They love working with the air dry clay!

4 Likes

Great ideas!! I am a teacher and besides the school work I have been trying to share fun ideas that can be done at home. I will keep an eye on this posts!

5 Likes

Awesome, Jennifer! Welcome to the community! :smiley: We started homeschooling in my house today and I am still working on getting in the groove of it all. As well as going completely digital! So happy that we can share crafty ideas to get us through! :heart:

1 Like

I saw this on Facebook the other day and thought it was a great idea! My 13 year old wasn’t interested. :confused: She’s more of a painter. So, I have a paint station set up for her during her downtime from school. It’s just my dining room table, but she gets to sit with me while I Cricut and we listen to music and have a great time! :blush:

2 Likes

There are so many things you can do. Google ideas, they are abundant. I like doing things with pipe cleaners. (Ideas and instructions from Low Mess Crafts for Kids book by Debbie Chapman). I’ve recently been learning how to make paper flowers, they gave lots of easy ones for kids. I’m intrigued by one where you draw the child’s handprints and make them into flowers. I also like making butterflies with coffee filters, clothes pins and markers. Then we take our creations to the local care center and share them.

1 Like

We enjoy painting, whether it’s acrylic on canvas, water color, painting rocks, or ink splatter creations. My daughter (10) has also been learning about cartooning and creating her own comic book. I also just recently got a Cricut so we have been playing around with that. We’ve also been making cards to send to family and friends.

2 Likes

Painting and paper crafts

My wonderful family has agreed to tackle mandalas with me! I think that I’m the one having all of the fun though. Still it’s nice to know they will give into my crafting addiction with me!:joy:

My 10 year old has autism and he likes to make soaps with me. He sells them at fairs. Helps him be social.

5 Likes