How to use PSD files without Photoshop

Did you know there is a FREE website that will allow you to edit/alter PSD files - without needing Photoshop!? I have put together a brief guide on how to use some of the main features. For this tutorial, I am using a vector pack with many layers.

Please Note – some features of a PSD many not be available with Photopea, but it can handle the basics :smiley:

1. Visti Photopea.com

2. Click File > open

1. Choose the file extension ending in PSD:

1. Tick the Box that says Auto-Select, so you can easily click and move the elements:

1. You can delete all of the elements you do not wish to use, keeping the ones you need. Alternatively, you can turn the layers on/off by clicking the eye icon next to each layer:

1. You can add your own text using the text tool:

1. And Resize it here:

1. Once you have completed your design, you can save by clicking File > Export as, and choose the file type you wish to save as:

There are many other tools available - I encourage you to explore the tool bar on the right to see what each of them do. You can also view tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=photopea.com+tutorial

12 Likes

Yes! Love this @Amy_S!

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

If you have a Mac, Pixelmator can open PSD files, too.

1 Like

Wow! Thank you very much.

1 Like

I love using Photopea! I just recently purchased the 3 months for $10 (I believe that is correct) to remove the ads that were slowing down my computer and now it’s even better and much faster on my older computer.

3 Likes

Very good to know!! Thank you @Dawn_D1

Thank you!!

1 Like

Thanks! Good to know. [Bookmarks it…]

1 Like

Thank you for sharing; this is incredibly helpful to know.

1 Like

Which versions of PS can this open? I have some old ones.

1 Like

Oooh this is a good question @Nora_G – I’m honestly not sure. Since it’s a free resource, you’re welcome to try your older files to see if they open :heart:

1 Like

Any PSD files will open

I have a some design tutorials on my YouTube channel with Photopea. I love it and they are constantly updating the program. The creator is very responsive to issues as well. You can look me up on YouTube by searching for my name ShootingStarSVG photopea tutorials.

2 Likes

That is brilliant. Thank you. I’m curious how my relics will go but out of time at the moment. Funny how when its slow for everyone else it just speeds up for me.

1 Like

Thank you. You have great information on your channel. I will check out thd videos and tutorials soon.

Thank you! Let me know if you have any questions I am more than happy to help!

PSD files can be used in lot of programs, sometimes with command ‘‘open’’, sometimes with command ‘‘import’’. If you ask about ‘‘SMART object’’ you can use it in Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo and in Photopea, on similar way like in Photoshop.

Here is the free editing program https://www.photopea.com/
and a YouTube video on how to use it :slight_smile:
https://youtu.be/I4kcUKcEe3E

2 Likes

I’ll have to check this out. Thanks for the insight.

1 Like

I had no idea! This is excellent!

1 Like