How sought after are Affinity products?

I haven’t used the Affinity suite yet, but I saw it’s on sale for 50% off and they’re giving a long free trial. I’ve noticed people talking about how they’d like to see more resources for Affinity Photo etc. I did a quick search on Designbundles and didn’t see many, so I’m wondering if there’s much of a gap in the market for these. Do you know if there are many people who would be interested in these?

1 Like

The Affinity suite is still very new and there aren’t many third party resources (yet). I think that over time it will become more robust because many people are not going along with Adobe’s subscription plan (and many companies are trying to adopt that same model of subscription). I’m a longtime Adobe Creative Suite user (Adobe products since 1988) and didn’t go for the subscription model after Creative Suite 6.
I am using Affinity exclusively for all of the things I’m working on and I think more and more people will be joining the Affinity wave.

2 Likes

I’m going to try out Affinity Photo (and maybe Publisher too). I’m using a CS5 Creative Suite and I have the CC photography plan (Photoshop and Lightroom) but I hardly use the new version of Photoshop. I’ve kept the plan for a few reasons - because there are a few resources I have that will only work on CC, because if I want to make and sell more things like layer styles, I ideally need to test them on CC (since it’s what a lot of people are using and they sometimes display differently) and because I use Adobe Fonts for some of my book branding and projects for others.

I can use most of my resources on CS5, so that’s no problem. I could look for the main fonts I use elsewhere or make rasterized PNG titles etc, so I could get by a while with those (or switch fonts). I guess if I got Affinity Photo, I’d probably end the Adobe subscription at the end of its subscription year (it’s not til next year, I think) and maybe switch to making Affinity add ons instead of Photoshop ones. If I make brushes in Photoshop CS5, they ought to work on CC no problem, so I could make more of those too. They’re not the only thing I make but I like to make them sometimes.

Steve: it looks like you just won $50 store credit:

This is from a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the heads up though. I purchased some ProCreate brushes with the credits. I’m hoping they will do some more. I would sure love to win the cutting machine of my choice. I would pick the Silhouette Alta 2 to make some things for a little letter press that I want to get into.

1 Like

You’re right, it is. I just saw the thread and jumped to the conclusion it was new. Sorry about that. :slight_smile: It would be pretty amazing to win something like that. I’ve never used a cutting machine but it looks like it would be fun to make things with them.

So many thing to make. I’ve been doing cards and tee shirts, along with embossing and debasing, etc.

1 Like

That sounds like fun to work on. I just had a look at a couple of the cutting machines in Google and they create more things than I realised.

I use both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo for a while now and I’m really content as a user. I use the Ipad version too and I switch my files from Ipad to desktop seamlessly. I tested the waters with a free affinity color palette on my website and it generated some traffic. I added affinity designer color swatches in all my color palettes products among AI swatches and Procreate swatches.

2 Likes

That’s great that it works well for you. I’m thinking of picking Affinity Photo as I use Photoshop more than Illustrator.

I’ll have a look out for those. I’ve bought colour swatches before but never made them.

I’m getting ready to take the Affinity Designer plunge. I can’t afford Illustrator. I currently use SCAL5 but it looks like I can do even more in Affinity Designer. If I need to do a trace, I’ll continue to use my SCAL5 until they add a good trace feature in AD. I realize there will be a new version coming out in anywhere from 6 months to a year (or possibly more) but the current version is on sale for half price so I’m going to go for it very soon. I think it’s at version 1.8 or thereabouts, so version 2 can’t be too far down the pike. I’ve been watching a lot of videos and am really impressed with what I’ve seen. If version 2 has a lot of new things, I will probably get it as well but I’m sure it won’t come with such a large discount. Half price is a great incentive to try it and see how well I really do like it. I found out about it first in this forum and then heard about it again in one of my Facebook groups.

1 Like

My biggest thing with Designer was there wasn’t a tracing feature. I went in search of tracing apps and found several. I tried Super Vectorizer 2 and Vectornator, both of which I wasn’t very happy how they performed. I am now using an app called TracedLines. It has many features, of which I’m still learning, and as yet has given me the best results. The biggest thing with the Affinity applications is that they are not subscription based and right now are being heavily discounted. I purchased all of the apps before they were discounted and am not sorry I did. They are still young and early in their development and I expect them to get more robust as time goes on.

2 Likes