How many of you paint traditionally as well?

I’m just wondering how many of the artists here paint traditionally as well as digitally.

I got into acrylic painting and water painting a bit more a few years ago, but I’ve put it on hold for now. I ended up with a number of paintings sitting around and I still have canvases downstairs.

2 Likes

I’m not professional y any means, but love painting. I usually paint wood projects over canvas.

2 Likes

I did at one time. I took many watercolor classes during the summer with local artists from around 8 to my late teens(I started working at 16). I turned everything to ‘mud’ because I’m too critical of my work and like to re-work it.
I love acrylics, they allow me to rework them, not as long as oil but oils were very expensive for the art student… I did many a jeans jacket in high school for my friends. (airbrush was another great hobby, many of those back in the day, too.) I miss fine art.
I liked gouache and it would have been a bit more fun to have started there before watercolor.

If you want to get into painting my suggestions would be gouache, then watercolor. acrylic then oils.

Look for a local school or Museum programs, senior discounts and student rates are the best! Learn from masters like local artists, if they are willing to teach.

2 Likes

Those sound like fun. I used to paint ornaments sometimes, but with a lack of the right paints/means to fire the clay ones, I just painted them and lacquered some of them. That reminds me. I still have some of that modelling clay stuff downstairs if it hasn’t dried out already.

I don’t think I’ve ever tried using gouache, but my mother used to oil paint, so I used to watch her do that a lot as a kid.

There’s an art store not far from where I live and they have painting courses sometimes. I imagine they’re not taking place right now though and probably won’t.

1 Like

I’ve been watching a Skillshare class on acrylic painting that’s inspired me to start, but unfortunately it’s taken me so long to gather my materials that the steam’s gone out of my inspiration. @Joseph_P’s painted jean jackets made me smile! I too painted many a jean jacket and even a few leather jackets in high school :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve painted in oil paints, acrylics, watercolors and mixed media. I haven’t painted any lately but it has started pulling at me. A painting I created some years ago and have listed on an art site sold recently as an art print and I’ve been thinking about getting out the paints again. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, I paint traditionally. I started with gouache and watercolors when I was younger, then moved to acrylic (for craft projects) and oil (canvas). I was painting on and off all my life but now my supplies are in storage until we find a place with more room. I create digitally too. I miss painting.

2 Likes

I still paint traditionally,

but I also make paintings digitally,

1 Like