Help with cover images

Hi all,
I need some tips on how to improve my cover images, I totally lack creativeness when it comes to finsined a design I’ve worked ages on and I think it’s hurting my business. Does anyone have any rule of thumb tips for me please? :grimacing:

2 Likes

Maybe look around at how other designers do it and get some inspiration (not copy) :slight_smile: on what would fit your style and personality? There is no rule of thumb in my opinion, just preference. It is very important to make it look professional though, especially if you’ve worked on the design for a long time! Spending extra time on presentation now will bring you more sales for a long time :grin:

2 Likes

This is usually subjective on the taste of the designer. I tend to keep mind simple with the same color scheme my website branding is in. I also include a logo. Some designers like to display a mockup of their product so someone who may be browsing can gain inspiration. I think that the above advice is good and just browse around to see how others do things and find your style. When I was rebranding I posted some sample images on the Facebook group to get feedback and chose from there. Good luck!

1 Like

I like to keep the background light in color so the focus goes to my design.

1 Like

I use Photoshop to create a template and have my logo and the types of files I include. I also like to display my digital files on mockups to make them look more professional.

Mine varies from font to font. Each font has a feel to it and I try to display that in the cover. For my font Full of Wonder I wanted a simple, youthful, cover photo that showed off the font. Some fonts like my Delicate Daisy font needed a daisy in the photo because of the name, and others are more random. I guess just think about what makes the font special and what it might be used for!

1 Like

Hi Keeley. Consistency is key in cover photos, so customers can recognise your brand amongst others.
To bolster this I would create a better/bigger logo as the small gold one can be overlooked.

A lot of designers use white backgrounds on cover images. Most of mine I’ve gone the opposite and chosen bolder background colours, which makes my designs show up in search results. Or maybe try using a light white wood background that would add depth, but not detract too much from your artwork.

Good luck! :smiley:

I decided to try a white wood, got my first sale in 1 hour :hushed::exploding_head:

1 Like

Wow! Way to go on the sale! Congrats!
I’m going to take a look at my listings and see if I can’t beef them up to stand out more. :slightly_smiling_face:

Love it!! :heart:

Well, I can give you some basics that every designer should know.
The first is a rule I learned early in my career, and that’s “Look ahead, and think in reverse.” By that I mean look at how your work will be produced/reproduced, and keep those capabilities and limitations in mind. Things like the colorspace, size(s) of the finished product(s). How it will be seen, who will be seeing it (your target audience/demographic) and what their likes or dislikes are.

Make a list of All of the things that HAVE to be in your design, list them by priority.
This helps keep you from missing important pieces in your work, that can be a big career killer if it happens often. Talk to your customer, if you can, and see what feel or look they are looking for, and don’t be afraid to ask questions, it’s better to show interest before hand than having to apologize for missing things after you have already spent hours or days on a project. Don’t get yourself so locked on an idea that you become blind to other possibilities.
I tend to use pencil and paper (graph paper works great), to sketch out ideas, the squares to set dimensions and give me a “sidebar” to make notes. I can scan or photocopy it and not have the light blue squares show up. It lets me show ideas without having to spend, potentially, days or weeks perfecting a design idea that doesn’t do anything for the customer.

Gather samples of things, or styles that you like or that fit your customers category.
Keep in mind things like CVC/bar codes, etc., that may or may not be needed in your final piece. All of those things take up space, so you need to take that needed space into account when laying out your design(s).
Inspiration from others designs can help spark the creative gene in you.

Keep flags to denote font style or feel with each of your fonts. An easy way to do that is to add an empty envelope in that font’s folder that gives you hints about the font. Like “Ornate Victorian, Condensed, Narrow”. That gives you an easy way to search through your computer’s cache/arsenal of fonts to find what you want or need.

1 Like