Hand lettering questions?

I’ve been lettering for over 4 years now (what!?). Let me know if you have any handlettering questions - fav markers, techniques, iPad lettering, etc.

I’d love to help you out!

3 Likes

Wow, cool! What is the most difficult letter for you?
And what kind of pens do you usually use?

Lowercase cursive z… I don’t like how it looks lol!

I really like the Tombow Fudenosuke brushes, as well as the Pentel Sign Brush Markers for small options. And the Tombow Dual Brush for large markers!

1 Like

Haha, It seems like many people have difficulty with z,

Ok thank you <3

I love the Tombow dual brush markers! As a lefty, I find lower case s and sometimes lower case o to be challenging with brushes and quill pens. Pens, in general, are less challenging (not to mention that I’ve had sets of left hand and oblique nibs since the 1980s).

1 Like

my worst letter would be an S I just can’t get that S to look like one haha

Oooh I second the letter s, it is sooooo hard for me for some reason.

That’s incredible!! What is the best form of practice you recommend. Drills, practice sheets, monthly word challenges, or just practicing free handing your own words?

Also, how often do you recommend to practice?

I’m a lefty too! Tombows were hard for me to get used to at first but now I like them! O is another hard one! It takes a lot of control for such a simple letter lol.

The big issue for me is the slant I need to control brush pressure switches the broads and narrows of those letters…

It depends where you’re at!

When I first started at the end of 2015 I was doing a daily lettering prompt on IG. Then I decided I was going to do a 365 day challenge in 2016 - I think I got to about July before it was too much for me to be posting each day. But I was still practicing daily even if I didn’t post!

If you’re brand new I would definitely recommend getting worksheets to help guide you. After a while you’ll get your own style and you won’t need them anymore! Lettering is a lot of muscle memory so practicing for 10 minutes a day can really help your technique!

2 Likes

I think that’s one of the biggest struggles with lefties! We’re pushing the brush away instead of pulling it towards us for most letters.