Framing of art work and designs

I did custom framing for over ten years and can answer some general questions about it.
I worked at Deck the Walls in Pittsburgh’s Ross Park Mall and was the Manager of the frame shop at Michael’s in Erie, PA. I’m a bit behind on my own framing, which with all the time I have should get to work on. Here are three pieces I did in the past. I should take pictures of the others I have done.

1 Like

Nice! I’ve cross-trained custom framing at Michaels, but there are a lot of things that get shipped to us pre-done (like multiple-opening mats and most mouldings)…

Nice work @Joseph_P! Those red mounts really make colour of the jackets pop. Thank you for sharing :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

that was the thing with michaels. I join my own moldings or use the plastic pegs and a clamp.

One of the things that really bugs me about our mouldings is that many of the ornate ones need to be (but aren’t) matched at the corners. Guess that would involve too much waste somewhere…

yeah, that very rarely happens, and the framers should be made aware to make consumers aware of that. that is what rub-n-buff is for.

A couple pieces I did circa 2011.

3 Likes