Finally understanding Inkscape!

These are screenshots of two designs I made. They are on a different website and being its not cool to promote a different site, I crossed off all identifying information.

4 Likes

That’s great! You did a good job! I love the flowers!

1 Like

@SugarBearStudio thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Just keep practicing. Let us know if you need any help. :slight_smile:
Have you tried working with Silhouette Studio Business Edition?

2 Likes

@BartonMarket Thank you!! I haven’t. I’m a Cricut user.

@AugustFire Lovely designs! I would really love to learn what you did here with the words on top of flowers and make into a cut file in Inkscape. I work with Inkscape and understand most of it except creating cut files such as these that you created. Can you point me to any tutorials perhaps?

1 Like

@Itaya_L Itaya

I’m happy to help! The flowers are actually a free file from DB.
I used PNG files and imported them into Inkscape. I lowered the layer opacity to 45%. On a 2nd layer, I added the the text. (Because if on the same layer, the opacity would match the flowers) If you want to center the text, the easiest way i found was to use a copy on the same layer as the flowers, and use it as a guide for the text on the other layer.
Then I selected everything and exported as a png. If you were to save as an svg, you would have to erase the text on the flower layer.

Let me know if you have questions! :heart:

1 Like

So, you only export as a png file? How does it then turn into a cut file? You would have to save as separate layers, correct? Like the flowers as one file and the word as another file? Forgive me, but I don’t have a cutting machine so can’t seem to wrap my head around creating cut files in general. Thank you for your time and trying to help me understand. :grin:

1 Like

No need to ask for forgiveness! :heart_eyes::heart:

For a cut file, you would save as an svg. That would have all the layers. I will make another design and take pictures and post them on this thread when I’m finished.

Be back soon!

1 Like

Oh wow, you are awesome! Thank you! :two_hearts:

@Itaya_L

I’m sorry. I should’ve realized saving text as svg vs object as svg. I am only familiar with saving text as svg and of course the process for them are different. I have just realized I have no idea how to make the file an svg. I’m sorry. :frowning:

1 Like

It’s ok. I appreciate you trying. I’ll figure it out eventually. I know there has to be a way. :grin:

1 Like

Silhouette Studio Business Edition can still be used for creating SVG files to upload into Cricut. I worked with Inkscape for a while, but found Silhouette Studio was user friendly. I have a Glowforge and use it to create my SVG files.

2 Likes

I had no idea! Are you able to able to create mandalas with it?

I use Inkscape and there is still so much I have no idea how to use! Once you get the hang of certain things, it comes second nature! I’ve been starting to learn a little bit with Illustrator since I took a font course, and by golly I feel like such a newbie all over again!

1 Like

@LauraSwanson now I don’t feel so alone lol. :heart:

1 Like

It’s a great feeling when you struggle with a program and then it suddenly clicks!! :grin: These look great!

1 Like

@Laura_B3 thank you :heart:

You can select the text and then under the Path menu, select “object to path”. That turns the letters into paths/objects and allows someone to use the design even if they don’t have the same typeface installed.

1 Like

@tmana I had no idea how to do that! Thank you !