FAQ: Do you need to buy a separate license to use items commercially?

This is a very common question; customers purchase items, then wonder if they need to purchase a license separately in order to use those products commercially.

The answer is, no – what you’ve purchased from Font Bundles/Design Bundles IS the license!

When you purchase digital products of any kind (not just fonts and graphics, but also downloadable movies, software, e-books, digital music, and more), most of the time you aren’t buying the product itself; you’re buying a license to use the product. This is the case not just at Font Bundles/Design Bundles, but at any marketplace where you buy digital goods, whether you’re getting an e-book from Amazon, or music from iTunes, or software from Microsoft!

Think of digital products like booking a hotel room: you aren’t actually purchasing the hotel room itself; ownership of the room still belongs to the hotel. You’re purchasing the right to use the hotel room according to a specific set of rules and guidelines. The room is then provided to you so that you can use it under those rules. Same with renting a car – you don’t buy the car, you’re buying the right to use that car according to the rules set by the car’s owner.

With digital products, you’re purchasing a license to use them; the files are then available so that you can download them and use them according to the rules of that license.

10 Likes

I’ve never seen this explained so clearly before :raised_hands:t2::heart::heart_eyes: Thank you!!

Thanks for the explanation

So if i bought a design and say put it on a mug and sold it, then that’s fine because i’ve bought the right to use that image?

That’s right. If you made a purchase from Design Bundles, you haven’t actually bought the design. You’ve bought a license which allows you to put the design onto physical end products, which you can sell.

1 Like