Color Grid Picture in Photoshop

For this tutorial we will use an image/images to apply the effect to.

1 - In Photoshop, create a “New Document”. Make it 1000 x 1000 pixels @ 300dpi with a White “Background”.

2 - Go to View > Show > Grid (Command/Control + ‘) to show the “Grid”.

3 - Go to Photoshop > Preferences > Guides, Grids & Slices. In the “Grids” tab use a “Gridline Every 10 Percent” and “Subdivisions: 1”.

4 - Create a New Layer” by clicking on the small button at the bottom of the “Layers Panel”. Name the new layer “Grid”. Make sure it is placed on top.

5 - In the “Tool Box”, select the “Single Row Marquee Tool” (in earlier versions of Photoshop is part of the “Marquee Tool” and in recent versions you have to click the 3 dots at the bottom to show the rest of the “Tools”). Zoom in (Command/Control +) to the Top-Left “Grid Line” and click on top of the first “Horizontal” line to make a selection. If you miss, use Command/Control + Z to “Undo”.

6 - Make sure that “Add to Selection” is the option in the Top Menu, click on top of the remaining “Horizontal” Lines to select them.

7 - Without deselecting, head to the “Tool Box” and select the “Single Column Marquee Tool”. - Make sure that “Add to Selection” is the option in the Top Menu, click on top of the “Vertical” Lines to add them.

8 -Make sure that the “Grid” Layer is selected and head to Edit > Fill. Choose Black as “Fill” color in the Pop-Up window. Deselect (Command/Control + D).

9 - Hide the “Grid” (Command/Control + ‘).

10 - Open the Image you wat to apply the effect to. Go to Select > All (Command/Control + A). Then, “Copy” the selection (Command/Control + C). Head back to the original file, select the “Background” Layer and go to Edit > Paste Special > Paste in Place (Shift + Command/Control + V).

11 - Right-click on top of the Image Layer’s Thumbnail and choose “Convert to Smart Object”. Name it “Image”.

12 - If the image is too large use “Free Transform”( Command/Control + T). Hold the “Shift” key wile dragging the corner handles to do it proportionally. Click the small Check Mark on the Top Menu or hit “Enter” to “Commit Transform”

13 - Use the “Magic Wand Tool” (W), make sure the “Contiguous” box is checked in the Top Menu and that you are working on the “Grid” Layer and click on the first inner “Square".

14 - Make sure that “Add to Selection” is the option in the Top Menu and select the rest of the Border “Squares” (the ones in the outer edges). Add a few random “Squares” but make sure that they don’t cover important parts of the image since this selection will be “covered”.

15 - Create a New Layer” on top of the “Image Smart Object”. Name the new layer “Frame”.

16 - Make sure that the “Frame” Layer is selected and head to Edit > Fill. Choose White as “Fil”· color in the Pop-Up window. Deselect (Command/Control + D).

ColorGridPicturePs16|665x500

17 - Select the “Grid” Layer again and use the “Magic Wand Tool” (W), with the “Add to Selection” option to select some more random squares (these ones will get colorized).

18 - Select the “Image” Layer and create a “New Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer” on top (click on the small Black and White circle at the bottom of the “Layers Panel” to open the Menu). Check the “Colorize” box and adjust the levers until you get a color you like.

19 - Give the “Adjustment Layer” the name of the color you are using (ours was yellow). You can repeat “Steps 17” and “Step 18” again to create different colors tiles if you want.

20 - You can also select the “Image” Layer again and create a “New Gradient Map Adjustment Layer” on top (click on the small Black and White circle at the bottom of the “Layers Panel” to open the Menu). Click on top of the “Gradient Bar” in the “Properties Panel” and choose one of the different options (we used “Gray_09” from the “Grays” Folder.

21 - Don’t forget to name the “Layers”. You can experiment with different types of “Adjustment Layers” like “Photo Filter” to achieve different colors, etc.

22 - To make the “Grid” White, select its Thumbnail and check “Lock Transparent Pixels”, then head to Edit > Fill. Choose White as “Fill” color in the Pop-Up window and Deselect (Command/Control + D).

23 - You can Turn On and Off the layers you like to create different combinations. Check it out!

by @lornacane!

2 Likes

Your knowledge and cool tutorials you have been adding amaze me! I really need to sit down and try them all! I am a Corel Draw girl but you have got me wanting to learn more about all of these awesome tools! :heart_eyes:

Thank you for taking the time to share!

1 Like

Thank you very much! I hope these help you to master some new tools :wink:

This tutorial is brilliant.
I always think I know Photoshop pretty well, then I see tutorials like this and realise I actually don’t :laughing:
Thank You for sharing

1 Like

Great tutorial! Thank you for sharing! :heart:

1 Like

Thanks - great idea!

1 Like

You’re welcome!

1 Like

I know, there’s always something new to learn with this things :wink:

:grinning: